Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rodarte for Target: Deal or Dud?


Designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy have taken their fashions from the runway to the mass market with their Rodarte line for Target. The line has been out at Target stores for about a week now and I have finally gotten a chance to check it out. Rodarte for Target will be at Target through January 31st.

When I first got a glimpse of the clothing online I thought it looked like there was some potential for cool clothes at affordable prices. Unfortunately a majority of the time, cheap prices = cheap product. After seeing the clothes in person, I have to say that I was very displeased with the fabrics. Cheap fabrics just do not look or feel good in person and the Rodarte for Target fabric choices were a major turn off for me.

The style of the pieces are definitely funkier than you would normally see at a discount department store, and some of the pieces appear kinda cute. However, the funky high fashion aspect of the clothes seems to get kind of lost in the Target atmosphere. I'm not sure that most Target shoppers would look at a see-through pink blouse and feel like trying that on in a store where you can also purchase light bulbs and milk. Usually tops that you have to wear a camisole under, have the camisole attached to it in stores such as a Target, and I think there is a reason for this. This top just looks bizarre in the Target context.

I really didn't see any pieces that I felt were outstanding. Although, I find that the fashionable lines at Target are always really picked over by the time I get to them. This swimsuit looked like it might have potential with a cute pattern and style, but I didn't have time to try it on.


Overall I would have to give the Rodarte Target line a D. I felt like this line was something that came out of fashion school. It's as if the designers thought "how can we make this skirt fashionable? Let's add some tulle." This line is supposed to be avant garde fashion for the masses but it just looks like cheap clothes for the unfortunate. It looks like more of a dud than a deal to me.


To check out the full collection online click here


keep austin stylish

No comments: