Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Color of Change

"Just don't be the crying girl in the salon" one of my twitter friends warned me.  I admit that right before getting into the chair at Topaz Salon, I was getting a little nervous about the big change I had decided to make with my hair.  But luckily it was more of an anxious nervousness brought on by excitement versus a scared to death kind of nervousness. 

I have never been anything other than a blonde and the most change I have ever made to my hair in the past has been with cuts and highlights.  I'm not quite sure why now was the time in my life that I decided to make a drastic change to my appearance, but perhaps it has to do with all the other changes that I have gone through in the past few months.  You never really know how much you can handle change until you are forced to deal with losing someone close to you.  Change is not always good, but it just is.  Sometimes things happen that are completely out of your control and the only thing you can control is how you react and deal with the situation.  This is something that is of course easier said than done, and I have been aware of this since I was in middle school and used to watch Oprah after school.  But, being in my mid twenties, I feel like I am finally just starting to actually be able to accomplish this task.  So, I knew that I would be able to deal with the results of my new hair whether they be good or bad. 

But, it also helps to go to someone you trust for such a big change.  Jené Maroney has been cutting my blonde hair for years now and I continued to stay with her for so long because she was a master with my highlights.  Once you find a stylist that you love and start a bond with, they become like an old friend who you don't see that often but when you do you pick up right where you left off.  (At least that's how I feel because I'm lazy and don't go the salon as much as I should.)  So, I followed Jené when she left the salon that I originally started seeing her at, Electra Beauty Lounge, and made the switch to Topaz.  I highly recommend her if you want to get your color done!  She made me a feisty and vibrant redhead.  Check out my before and after: 


And remember, it's just hair!  If you want to make a big change like this, just keep in mind that it will always grow back.  Plus if you are going darker like I did, you can always easily go back to blonde.

Jené colored my roots before coloring the ends in order to give a slight ombre effect that will occur once I wash my hair a few times.  I love that she was able to give my hair multi tonal color instead of just one flat color.




Joanna Wilkinson
keep austin stylish

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The red looks great! I'm a little jealous. I've been wanting to try out red myself, but I just don't think I could do it.

MAK said...

I love your new hair! Color is great.

Cathy Benavides said...

Wooot!!!! You look awesome lady :)

Mitch said...

Don't you know you are always supposed to be smiling in the AFTER photo?! :)

Tolly said...

WELCOME TO CLUB RED, lady! You look gaw-geous. Proud of ya!