Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Trend Alert: Pimp My Hair


If you are going to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.  But if you are going to Austin, you might want to wear some feathers.  By now I'm sure all of you have seen girls (and a few guys) with feather hair extensions.  The feather trend has been really popular this year, and in fact, you might already be tired of this fad.  I think my first moment of "when will this die" for this trend was a couple of months ago when I met a guy with feathers in his hair who raises chickens in his backyard.  When half the human population of Austin has actually turned into birds, it will be time for this trend to be put to rest.  So, what's the next big thing for hair pimping?


The other night something shiny caught my eye, and it wasn't a piece of jewelry or a pretty cocktail.  It was a tinsel hair extension, also affectionately referred to as "bling string."  Makeup and hair stylist Zoraima Pelaez informed me that hair tinsel is the next big thing for hair accessorizing.  Because "all girls love glitter" Zoraima, who was voted Best Makeup Artist Peoples Choice during Austin Fashion Week last year, believes this hair extension trend will catch on quickly and succeed the feather fad.
 

So, what do y'all think about all this hair blinging that is going on?  Do you rock the feather extensions?  Will you put on some tinsel?  While I do have my moments of wanting to feel girly and tacky (in a fabulous Betsey Johnson tacky kind of way), I don't think hair bling is really for me.  But I don't think feather hair extensions are for me either.  In general I just don't feel comfortable having something stuck in my hair for that long of a time.  I get enough things stuck in my hair on accident, such as food, mascara, fuzz, paint, gum, chapstick etc. (Plus my hair gets tangled just looking at it.)  I fear if I added feathers or tinsel to the mix, I might end up looking like an old Christmas tree by the curbside trashcans.  But for some, this look can work.  Zoraima  pulled off the bling string quite well.  And when she whipped out her bedazzled phone, I knew her and her hair tinsel were a perfect match.

If you are interested in getting your hair pimped, Zoraima is a hair and makeup artist (Voted Best Makeup Artist Peoples Choice for Austin Fashion Week last year) and she can get you gliterrized.


Joanna
keep austin stylish

2 comments:

carrie said...

i love my glitter, but i'll probably leave it to my sequins and fingernails :)

Jess (hellowifeonline.com) said...

I must not get out enough, because I didn't notice the feather hair extension trend until recently, but now I'm intrigued! I saw the tinsel thing a while back, it looks good for the summer, almost like subtle highlights.