Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Austin Model Showcase Event

Last Sunday night the 15 semifinalists of the Top Austin Model competition strutted their stuff on the runway at Qua Lounge (yes that's the club with the sharks in the floor).  Not only was I there to see if the models have what it takes to be named Top Austin Model, but I was also there to view the local fashion designs by designers Meling Chang and Jena Randall.


I thought the models all did really well, especially considering most of these girls are inexperienced at modeling.  However, there were a couple of girls that stood out to me above the rest.  I've been to a ton of fashion shows here in Austin and I not only try and get good runway photos, but I also try and get a good look at the clothes.  I've definitely had some complaints about models in shows before.

Here are some things that will make you stand out as a good model:


1) Walk: You must walk slowly enough so that I can see the clothes and it doesn't just go by in a blur.  This will lend itself to better photos and me having a better memory of the outfit.  (Of course you don't want to walk TOO slowly either.)  
2) Pose at the end of the runway: Some models hardly even pose at the end of the runway.  This drives me and other photographers insane!  Pose long enough for us to take photos.  Try and pose for each photographer or at least in their general area.  You get a major bonus if you actually look right at my lens.
4) Eyes: Don't look down!  And acknowledge the cameras.


After the models competing in Top Austin Model had walked, I was standing there thinking "I really wish a model with hair that looks like a potted plant on her head would walk down the runway."  And bam, my dreams came true when out came these models with body art by Beauty On The Go and hair by Ivy Kim:


This fashion show was a fun event and even though there weren't any outfits I would wear straight off the runway, it was still fun to watch. 

The final round of Top Austin Model will take place on March 13th at Antone's.  You can purchase tickets for the finale show on the Top Austin Model website.

Stay tuned to see which girls are moving on to the next and final round of the Top Austin Model competition.


Joanna
keep austin stylish

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"After the models competing in Top Austin Model had walked, I was standing there thinking "I really wish a model with hair that looks like a potted plant on her head would walk down the runway." And bam, my dreams came true when out came these models with body art by Beauty On The Go and hair by Ivy Kim:"

BRAVO, my friend. I am laughing out load over here! :)

joanna said...

hehe :)