Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Texas' Next Top Designer

The Texas' Next Top Designer competition started in 2006 and since then has helped bring recognition and financial help to a handful of talented fashion designers.  The goal of Texas' Next Top Designer is to find that special designer who has both the talent and the business savvy to start their own business.

Last year, the winner of this competition was lingerie designer Megan Summerville.  I actually first met Megan at one of our Ladies Who Lunch gatherings.  (I get to meet so many awesome women these days.) I remember Megan discussing her handmade lingerie and convincing us that she had some very affordable and wearable pieces.  Even then I thought it sounded too good to be true.  But this past weekend the Texas' Next Top Designer Launch party for 2010 was held at Megan's shop, so I finally got to see her lingerie for myself.  Megan's claims were true, and her handmade lingerie is beautiful.  I would say the pieces are heavily influenced by vintage, making "lovely" the best word to describe her work.

I did a little spontaneous interview with Megan during the party.  Megan tells us how winning Texas' Next Top Designer has benefitted her and what advice she has for future competitors:




And if you are a designer wanting to compete in this year's competition, click here to go to the Texas' Next Top Designer website and find out more information and how to apply.  The deadline to apply is November 12th!


Joanna
keep austin stylish



No comments: